Press "New project" and choose your desired resolution and framerate. The project will open.
In a new project, the timeline will be only one frame long to begin with. You will see a Background layer (this cannot be deleted) and a default "Layer 1" with one drawing, and above that the green playhead indicating the current frame. To the left are sliders to control the opacity of each layer, and buttons to change the layer order or delete a layer.
To extend the duration a drawing is seen when played back, drag the "Drawing duration" slider in the timeline panel.
Each drawing is represented by a blue button on the timeline. Press on any one to go to that drawing; or, drag the green playhead along the top bar of the timeline to scrub through the drawings; or, use the forward/back buttons
to step back and forth. By default, going forward from the end of the timeline will automatically add a new drawing and extend the timeline to fit it. You can also add drawings to the timeline manually by clicking "Add drawing" in the timeline panel.
Draw in drawing canvas. Pinch to zoom/pan. For drawing you have available a Brush tool
, an Eraser tool
, a Fill tool
, and a Lasso selection tool
The Onion Skin feature lets you see previous and following drawings overlayed on the current frame. Toggle it on and off with the Onion skin button in the Tools panel, and adjust the range of drawings visible in the Tool Options panel.
Press the Play button in the Tools panel to play back a preview of your animation. In the Project Options menu you can export a Quicktime video, a PNG image sequence, or an animated GIF.
Command key on iOS is Control key on Android
- - Press to hide all button panels and expand drawing canvas to fullscreen.
- Drawing duration - How many frames the current drawing will remain on screen when played back.
- No link - Duration slider affects only current layer.
- Link layer durations - Duration slider affects all layers together. Deleting a drawing will expand the previous drawing's duration to keep overall timing the same.
- Link drawing duration to previous drawing - The previous drawing's duration will get shorter as the current drawing's duration gets longer and vice versa, to keep overall timing the same. Deleting a drawing will expand the previous drawing's duration to keep overall timing the same.
- Link drawing duration to next drawing - The next drawing's duration will get shorter as the current drawing's duration gets longer and vice versa, to keep overall timing the same. Deleting a drawing will expand the next drawing's duration to keep overall timing the same.
- Drawing label - Give the current drawing a label, which will be displayed on its button in the timeline. (Useful for organization.)
- Add drawing - Add a drawing to the timeline.
- Add after - Adds a blank drawing after the current drawing on the timeline, of the same duration as the current drawing and pushing all later drawings down the timeline.
- Add split halfway - Adds a blank inbetween drawing, halfway from the current drawing to the next drawing on the timeline, shortening the current drawing's duration by half to keep overall timing the same.
- Add split at playhead - Adds a blank inbetween drawing at the current frame on the timeline, shortening the current drawing's duration to keep overall timing the same.
- Duplicate after - Adds a copy of the current drawing, after the current drawing on the timeline, of the same duration as the current drawing and pushing all later drawings down the timeline.
- Duplicate split halfway - Splits the current drawing halfway along its duration, into two identical drawings of half the length each.
- Duplicate split at playhead - Splits the current drawing at the current frame on the timeline, into two identical drawings.
- Delete drawing - Deletes the current drawing.
- Make cycle - Converts the current drawing into a loop of the previous X number of drawings on the timeline that you choose. Any changes to those drawings will be reflected automatically in the repeated cycle of them. The cycle will appear green on the timeline, or red if it cannot work (either you are trying to cycle more drawings than exist, or you are trying to cycle a cycle).
- Move back - Swaps the current drawing with the previous drawing on the timeline.
- Move forward - Swaps the current drawing with the next drawing on the timeline.
- Playback range - Adjust these sliders to play only part of the animation when previewing.
- Add layer - Adds a layer.
- Empty layer - Adds a layer with one empty drawing.
- Copy timing to blank drawings - Adds a layer with the same number of drawings and same duration as the current layer, but without the content of the drawings. (Useful for coloring: you can place this new layer under the line art layer and do your coloring on it, without affecting the line art itself.)
- Copy drawings - Makes a complete duplicate of the current layer, including all drawing content.
- Project options - Opens a popup menu of actions that affect the whole project.
- Close project - Closes the project and returns to the project selection screen.
- Import audio - Choose a WAV or MP3 file to import to your project. Once imported, going to a drawing will play back the section of the audio file at that point of the timeline, and playing back the animation will play it with the audio. A visual representation of the audio waveform will display on the timeline.
- Remove audio - Will only appear in the menu if you have already imported an audio file. Pressing it will remove that audio file from your project.
- Import image - Choose a JPEG or PNG image to paste into the current drawing. Will be scaled to fit the project's resolution.
- Import video - Choose a Quicktime video to import to your project as a new layer. Will be scaled to fit the project's resolution.
- Export Quicktime video - Export a Quicktime video file of your project. Includes audio if you have imported an audio file.
- Export GIF - Export a GIF video of your project.
- Export PNG sequence - Export a sequence of PNG images, one for each frame of your project. # signs in the filename you choose will be replaced by the frame number. (The number of # signs corresponds to the number of digits with leading zeroes, i.e. "####" will turn into "0001" for frame 1.) Choose whether to export images with a transparent alpha channel or with the background color of the project.
- Change framerate - Change the playback frames per second of the project.
- Change resolution - Resize the project to a different resolution. (Tip: the app will run smoother at lower resolutions, so you may want to do your rough animation at half size and then scale up before doing cleanup and color.)
- Change background color - Change the background color of the project.
- App preferences
- Left-handed interface - Puts drawing canvas on left of screen and buttons on right.
- User interface scale - (Android only) Adjust if interface seems to be displaying wrongly for your screen size.
- Timeline panel maximum height - Adjust how many layers the timeline will expand to show before you have to scroll up/down.
- Timeline horizontal zoom - Adjust how wide each frame will appear on the timeline.
- Pen only drawing mode - For Galaxy Note S-Pen, Apple Pencil, Adonit or Wacom Bluetooth styluses - ignore finger touch on canvas, only accept pen input.
- Pen calibration - (Android only) Offset drawing on screen from the tip of the pen.
- Show cursor when hovering - (Android only) For devices with a pen - shows cursor with brush size, at correct offset as set in pen calibration.
- Minimum brush size - For pressure sensitive devices - brush size corresponding to the lowest level of pressure.
- Minimum brush opacity - For pressure sensitive devices - brush opacity corresponding to the lowest level of pressure.
- Third-party Bluetooth stylus - (iOS only) Adonit or Wacom Bluetooth styluses. With this option on, a pen icon will appear in the corner of the drawing canvas - press it to pair the app with your stylus and change settings for it. A zoom icon will also appear, press it to disable pinch zoom/pan gestures if they are interfering with palm rejection.
- Volume buttons function - Set volume buttons to undo/redo, flip back/forward, change volume, or do nothing.
- Step by frame - Forward/back buttons step one frame at a time, instead of to next keyframe.
- Allow forward button to add drawing - If enabled, pressing forward button while at the end of the timeline will add a new drawing after.
- Preview resolution, current layer - Set to lower display quality if drawing lags.
- Preview resolution, other layers - Set to lower display quality if scrubbing/playback lags.
- Onion skin opacity - Adjust the opacity level that onion skinned drawings will display at.
- Onion skin tint previous drawings - Tint onion skinned drawings with different colors to more easily differentiate between the previous and following drawings.
- Onion skin tint following drawings - Tint onion skinned drawings with different colors to more easily differentiate between the previous and following drawings.
- Smooth lines - Smoothly interpolate curved lines as drawn.
- Timeline - Hides/shows the timeline panel.
- Layer options - Hides/shows options for each layer on the timeline panel.
- Opacity slider - Control the opacity of this layer.
- Up/Down - Change layer order.
- Delete - Delete this layer.
- Layer names - Hides/shows layer names. Press a name to edit it.
- Tool options - Hide/show the tool options panel.
- Choose the brush shape.
- Add brush shape - Import an image as a brush shape. Brush shape images must be PNG format with a transparent background.
- Randomize rotation - Randomize the rotation of the brush image.
- - The brush color, press to open a color picker dialog.
- - Eyedropper tool, press this button and then press anywhere on the drawing canvas to pick the color from that point of the drawing.
- - Draw lines with the brush tool.
- Brush size - The width of the brush.
- Opacity - Opacity of the brush.
- Spacing - The distance between marks in a brush stroke.
- Draw front - New brush strokes will cover earlier drawing on same layer.
- Draw behind - New brush strokes will appear behind earlier drawing on same layer.
- - Erase with the eraser tool.
- Erase size - The width of the eraser.
- Opacity - Opacity of the eraser.
- Spacing - The distance between marks in an eraser stroke.
- - Paint bucket tool fills an area inside lines with color.
- Fill expand - Expands the area to be filled by this many pixels. (Helps avoid jagged edges.)
- Fill blur - Blurs the area to be filled by this many pixels. (Helps avoid jagged edges.)
- Tolerance - The range of difference in color from the sampled point to include in the area to be filled.
- Sample this layer - Fill inside lines drawn on current layer.
- Sample this & above - Fill inside lines drawn on this layer and all layers above it.
- Sample all layers - Fill inside lines drawn on all layers.
- Fill front - New fills will cover earlier drawing on same layer.
- Fill behind - New fills will appear behind earlier drawing on same layer.
- - Lasso select/move tool.
- Select all - Selects the entire drawing.
- Select none - De-selects anything selected.
- Delete - Delete the current selection.
- X translate - Move the current selection horizontally.
- Y translate - Move the current selection vertically.
- Rotate - Rotate the current selection.
- Scale - Scale the current selection.
- Flip horizontal - Flip the current selection horizontally.
- Flip vertical - Flip the current selection vertically.
- Copy - Copy the current selection.
- Paste - Paste the last copied selection.
- - Undo the last action.
- - Redo undone actions.
- - Play back the animation (at half resolution).
- - Go to the previous drawing on the timeline.
- - Go to the next drawing on the timeline.
- Onion skin - Onion skinning, shows you previous/next drawings overlayed on the current drawing.
- Onion skin range - Use these sliders to control how many drawings before/after the current drawing to show when onion skinning is turned on.
|Command Shift Z||Redo|
|O||Toggle onion skin|
|Q||Toggle fullscreen canvas|
|Command Leftarrow||Move drawing back|
|Command Rightarrow||Move drawing forward|
|F5 or 5 or +||Increase drawing duration|
|Shift F5 or Shift 5 or -||Decrease drawing duration|
|F6 or 6||Duplicate drawing at playhead|
|Shift F6 or Shift 6||Duplicate drawing after|
|Command F6 or Command 6||Duplicate drawing halfway|
|F7 or 7||Add drawing at playhead|
|Shift F7 or Shift 7||Add drawing after|
|Command F7 or Command 7||Add drawing halfway|
|Shift Delete||Delete drawing|
|[||Decrease brush size|
|]||Increase brush size|
|Command C||Copy selection|
|Command V||Paste selection|
|Command X||Cut selection|
|Command A||Select all|
|Command Shift A||Select none|
|Arrow keys||Nudge selection by 1px|
|Shift arrow keys||Nudge selection by 10px|